Skip to content

San Sebastian – when sand meets umami!!

July 23, 2010

The saltiness of manmade brined green olives with the natural sea salt of perfectly fresh anchovies skewered together with a sliver of slightly spicy local green chile was the most incredible first bite of Pintxos (Tapas in the Basque region) (pronounced “Peen Shows”). I literally had to close my eyes to take in every bit of the pleasure. These three ingredients came together to create a new flavor that was unbelievable. The anchovy was mild (un-like the cured ones you may be used to)but tasted fully of the sea. It melted into the olive and was ignited by the chile creating an incredible sauce in my mouth. We went on from there to try dozens of Pintxos. Each bar has 80% of the same thing but then the other 20% is their own unique twist or their signature Tapas. One of my other favorites was a salt cod crostini with thinly fried onions and chiles! The salt cod (bacaloa) is actually not salty at all. The texture is almost creamy with a mild sweet fish flavor. The chiles and onions gave it a touch of richness, the perfect crunch and a cleansing chile bite. Don’t even get me started on the jamon Serrano!! Next blog…

The kids and I finished the day by swimming way out into the bay to mount a floating dock with a high-dive diving board. Watching my kids laugh and fly through the air was as much as I could ask for. Staring back at the crescent-shaped perfectly tan-colored sandy beach was almost visual overload. The Neo-classical, Baroque and Gothic architecture wrapping around the promenade and climbing up to two bookend mountains was a stunning site. Amazing place, amazing food, awesome family. I am so grateful. Enjoy the ones you love and eat something tasty!

Eat well, Enjoy life, Be happy

Advertisements
7 Comments leave one →
  1. Vickie H. permalink
    July 24, 2010 2:52 pm

    Gorgeous pictures! I love all of the delicious food and the happy smiles. Thanks for sharing both. Have fun and take care!

    • Jeffrey Saad permalink*
      July 26, 2010 12:17 am

      Thank you Vickie! Jeffrey 🙂

  2. Suzanne Farwell permalink
    July 25, 2010 8:55 pm

    Jeffrey,

    GREAT JOB on Grill It! today…you more than held your own with Bobby Flay and that’s no easy feat! Our mouths were watering after the episode. Also, really been enjoying your blog ever since I first checked out your site with “Eggs in the South of France.” Inspiring and just awesome!

    All the best,

    Suzanne, Rick, Kate and Jack Farwell

    • Jeffrey Saad permalink*
      July 26, 2010 12:19 am

      Thank you Suzanne!! Great to hear from you! I am sure you have another big feature in the works. Keep us posted. Best to you all!! Warmly,
      Jeffrey

  3. July 26, 2010 7:45 am

    LOVE THE PHOTOS!!! Looks like the most amazing trip. Tapas bars are such a favorite!

    • Jeffrey Saad permalink*
      July 26, 2010 11:15 am

      Thank you Allison! have a great week! Jeffrey 🙂

  4. Mary permalink
    July 26, 2010 5:52 pm

    Such a great job on Grill It! Should make it a series. In Maine it would be hard to find some of those ingredients, but in three weeks I’ll be back in an area that will be more accessible. Good ole Philly market! Not sure if I let you know, but the eggs parm were very, very, very good and as we say in our house “definitely a keeper” Pictures are wonderful, have a great trip!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s